Project - Corowa Development Offshore Project
The Corowa Development is within Commonwealth waters in offshore petroleum permit WA-41-R, located ~60 km from Onslow in the north-west of Australia, in water depths of ~90 m. KATO Energy Pty Ltd (KATO) plans to develop the Corowa field using a relocatable system known as the ‘honeybee production system’. The honeybee production system has been used successfully in many locations around the world, including offshore WA.
The ‘honeybee production system’ comprises the following key elements:
• Jack-up mobile offshore production unit (MOPU).
• Production unit on the MOPU, which will separate and process oil, gas and water.
• Wells workover module on the MOPU, which will have the capability to plug and abandon
wells, and potentially to drill; however, a separate mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU) may
• Short flowline and riser from the MOPU to a catenary anchor leg mooring (CALM) buoy.
• Floating marine hose to transport oil.
• Moored floating storage and offloading (FSO) facility, where oil is stored; or direct to shuttle
tankers (depending on export option selected).
• Floating export hose to offload oil from the FSO to export tankers.
The key components covered in this Offshore Project Proposal (OPP) for the Corowa Development
• Site survey of the proposed location of subsea infrastructure.
• Drilling of up to four wells.
• Installation, hook-up and commissioning of a mobile offshore processing unit (MOPU), CALM buoy and mooring arrangements, a short subsea flowline and riser, and a floating storage and offloading (FSO) facility.
• Operation of the facilities.
• Decommissioning and removal of subsea and surface infrastructure, and plug and
abandonment (P&A) of the wells.
Corowa is part of a portfolio of KATO owned fields. The intent is that as each field is depleted, it is fully decommissioned, and the honeybee production system is then relocated to the next field.
The conservative project life for the Corowa Development (from mobilisation to decommissioning) is approximately five years, with a preliminary project schedule outlined in the table below.
TIMING*: Q3 2023
INDICATIVE DURATION: 1 month
TIMING*: Initial campaign - Q4 2023/ Q1 2024
Second campaign - 1 to 2 years after start-up
INDICATIVE DURATION: Initial campaign - 5 months
Second campaign (if required) - additional 4 months
PHASE: Installation , Hook-up and Commissioning
TIMING*: Q4 2023
INDICATIVE DURATION: 3 months
TIMING*: Q1 2024
INDICATIVE DURATION: Between 2 and 4.5 years, at best and high estimates of production, respectively
TIMING*: Between 2025 and 2028 (depending on the duration of operations)
INDICATIVE DURATION: 3 months
*Timing shown is if the Corowa Development is the first field developed using the relocatable honeybee production system out of the KATO owned fields. If the KATO owned fields are developed in a different order, the timing of Corowa may be later than shown.*
|Name||Mr Brett McRae|
Activities for this projectActivities yet to commence