Otway Offshore Operations
|Activity type||Operation of a facility for the recovery or processing of petroleum|
Recovery of petroleum using a subsea installation
|Lifecycle Classification||Operation & Production|
|Submitted by||Beach Energy (Operations) Limited|
|Submission date||03 September, 2021|
|Decision date||15 August, 2022|
|Link to previously accepted EP||4034 - Otway Offshore Operations|
Phone: (08) 9110 2180
Beach Energy (Operations) Limited (Beach) is the part owner and nominated operator of the Otway Gas Development. The development consists of offshore and onshore infrastructure necessary for the commercialisation of gas and liquids in the Geographe and Thylacine fields off the coast of Victoria.
Development of the gas fields commenced in 2004 by Woodside Petroleum Ltd under a joint venture arrangement, with first production in mid-2007. The offshore operations currently produce from wells at the Geographe and Thylacine locations. These activities were approved by the Minister of Environment under the Environment Protect and Biodiversity Act 1999 (including additional future wells) in 2004 (EPBC 2002/621).
The Geographe field is located offshore approximately 55 km to the south of Port Campbell. The Thylacine field is approximately 70 km offshore from Port Campbell. The Thylacine field is at a water depth of approximately 100 m and the Geographe field is at a water depth of approximately 85 m. Both fields and the associated export pipeline are mark on navigational charts
This revised EP includes the new G4 and G-5 productions wells and the recently suspended Artisan 1 exploration well. Separate EPs cover the drilling and completion, and infrastructure and commissioning of these wells. The G4 and G-5 productions wells form part of this EP from when the field isolations have been removed and hydrocarbons are introduced to the existing infrastructure.
The scope of this Environment Plan (EP), is the operation, inspection, maintenance and repair (and associated activities) of the offshore assets associated with the Otway Gas Development:
• Thylacine-A well head platform with four production wells.
• Three subsea Geographe production wells (Geographe 2, Geographe 4, Geographe 5) and associated subsea infrastructure.
• Four subsea suspended wells (Artisan1, Geographe 1, Geographe 3, Thylacine1).
• Otway Pipeline System consists of two subsea pipelines – the Otway Gas Pipeline and the piggybacked MEG pipeline.
The onshore assets, which are not covered by this EP, include the Otway Gas Plant approximately 7 km north-east of Port Campbell, the onshore section of the Otway Gas Pipeline from the shore crossing to the Otway Gas Plant, the Halladale Black Watch Speculant wellsite located near Nirranda South, and the Halladale Black Watch Speculant gas pipeline to the Otway Gas Plant.
The following assets/activities are not included in the scope of this EP:
• The Halladale Black Watch Speculant wellsite and gas pipeline which are covered by the Halladale Black Watch Speculant Well Site Environmental Management Plan (CDN/ID 8255348) and the Halladale Black Watch Speculant Pipeline PL006009 Environment Management Plan (CDN/ID 8198931), respectively.
• Onshore section of the Otway Gas Pipeline which is covered by the Otway Onshore Pipeline PL250 Environmental Management Plan (CDN/ID 3977303).
• Otway Gas Plant which is covered by the Otway Gas Plant Environmental Management Plan (CDN/ID 8027333).
• Exploration, appraisal and drilling activities are covered by activity specific EPs as necessary.
• Well intervention, wireline or slickline campaigns on subsea production or suspended wells are covered by activity specific EPs as necessary.
• Decommissioning of any assets/facilities which will be covered by specific EPs as necessary.